Diet & Nutrition >>> Supplement Articles & News
The Harmful Effect of Fish Oil
By: DAVE WOYNAROWSKI, M.D.
The World's Top Anti-Aging Specialist
Is Fish Oil Deadly?
I read with great interest the emails that have come flooding in over the past 24 to 48 hours asking about the harmful effects of fish oil
(EPA and DHA).
Apparently there is a newsletter circulating by another one of the so called “gurus” of health and diet stating that EFA’s can be very harmful because they cause oxidation and may cross link proteins leading to wrinkles or worse!
I had almost forgotten that this nonsense was ever written until the “newsletter” came across my desk, forwarded to me by a reader.
I suppose if you looked hard enough you might still find an alternative medicine text book that has not been edited recently that might make mention of using vitamin E with fish oil to prevent “oxidation”.
A few facts about this information.
1) It is old, outdated, outmoded and nonsense!
2) It has never been scientifically proven, and there is absolutely no research to substantiate it. If you could find its source, I suspect you would find someone who is selling CLA’s!
3) The benefits of EPA and DHA used ALONE have been proven in thousands of scientific publications over the past 25 years.
4) There is not one report of any adverse reaction to Fish Oil in the scientific literature to this date, although there are theoretical considerations.
5) While I don’t want to mention names, I suggest Mr. O. H. go to PUB MED and do his homework before he writes about this topic with outdated materials.
6) Today’s article reviewing the benefits of Intravenous Fish Oil is yet another example of the amazing health giving and life saving (oops here comes the FDA!) effects of Fish Oil. Please read it. It could not have come at a better time.
7) I have nothing against Vitamin E and do not discourage you or anyone else from taking it if you want to. I personally often take 400 IU myself, but not for any reason having to do with Fish Oil.
8) Vitamin E has had a series of disappointing results when it has been used to prevent heart disease, stroke etc. so I would not be counting on it.
9) There are studies where fish oil has been compared to Vitamin E for benefits in the above illness and others. Vitamin E did not show any benefit while fish oil showed marked benefit.
10) While you all know how I feel about most of the “Authorities” in Traditional Medicine, The AHA (American Heart Association ) did come out and say (with tacit approval from the FDA) that Fish Oil “promotes a healthy heart”.
11) There is no such designation allowed for CLA’s, or for Vitamin E for that matter.
12) If you measure the levels of inflammation in the body with lab studies such as the CRP, the sed rate, and others , they all go down with fish oil usage. So does Cortisol the body’s hormonal response to stress which promotes aging. In similar studies , Vitamin E has shown limited if any benefit, so why would you use it to prevent oxidation.
The FDA has not evaluated all of these statements. This email is for educational purposes only. Always consult your own personal doctor for medical advice and follow it even it contradicts what is said in this article. Do not stop or change any medicines you are taking without the expressed consent of your own personal physician.